Saturday, May 17, 2014

Garden Time

Garden Time!
Thursday
May 15, 2014
 
I may not love (by any means)  where we live, but ever so often it does have it perks. The gardening program being one of the big perks! The gardening program is awesome, they supply everything you need for not only a garden, but a huge one! One that should grow $2500 worth of produce, now that's what I call a garden. They supply the fertilizer, soil condition, manure, drip hoses and all the seeds/plants. Once everything has started to grow they will also teach us how to can it all. I had never heard of this program in the church before so I asked why they have it here, the answer kind of shocked me. I was told we have it here because we are considered a 3rd world country...!!! I don't know why I was so surprised, all I have to do is look around and see all the poverty but its kind of crazy actually hearing you live in a 3rd world "country".   
 
 
I joined later then everyone else so I had to get everything going fast. All day yesterday was spent weeding, breaking up the dirt with a shovel and getting/spreading manure. I barrowed the church's tiller and went to work! The man in charge of the program brought the tiller to me and showed me how to use it, he must have asked at least 4 times before he left If I was SURE I could do this. Haha I reassured him that yes, I do know how to work.
I had to go over it a few times to get it nice and soft, but a few hours blisters and bruises (on my leg from trying to turn the dang thing!) later I managed to get it done all by myself. I have to admit I was pretty proud, that this is heavy!

 
I started digging out our raised beds and got about half way done before Ian got home and was able to help me. Thank goodness for his help! My hands and back were getting TIRED. The kids had an absolute blast playing outside all day, and getting dirty as all get out!   

 
We literally turned half of our back yard into a garden. I guess these one plus of having an all dirt back yard! Now to convince Ian to put grass on the other half!

 
Saturday
May 17th
 
Brother Tracey (the man in charge of the program) came back on Saturday to help us with the drip hoses. He told us that when he came back Thursday night to pick up the tiller he was shocked by how much I got done, that he thought to himself "Dang, this white girl knows how to get things done." Haha I couldn't help but laugh. I think the natives aren't quiet sure what to think of us white people sometimes, that we're too pampered to know how to work. Glad I could show him otherwise.


 
So glad for Ian and Brother Tracey's help, now onto planting!


No comments:

Post a Comment

background